Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Little Marionette - Annandale

Lately I've been spending a lot of my Saturdays in cafes, it started out as a nice way to catch up with friends, but somewhere along the line it turned into a cafe exploration around Sydney. So when I heard the young roasting house The Little Marionette churns out pretty good coffee I called upon a friend, who, has been on the hunt for the best coffee Sydney has to offer ever since his trip to Melbourne a few months ago. For convenience, we decided to leave Balmain (the original cafe) for another time and headed over to their Annandale cafe.   

Arriving well after the morning rush we took up an empty table next to the big wide open window that looked onto the street. A quick glance at the menu told us that if you are after something more substantial, like a big breakfast, then you'd want to look elsewhere. This little corner cafe focuses mainly on their coffee and does little on the food side. However, it is worth a mention that they source their pastries and pies from the well known and much loved bakery, Black Star Pastry in Newtown.

Cappuccino & cinnamon scroll
While contemplating a healthy dose of muesli with yoghurt and fresh fruit I spotted some deliciously looking cinnamon scrolls on the courter and the decision was made for me. My friend was feeling a bit more peckish so he ordered the lamb shank and red wine pie.

I'm no coffee connoisseur by any means, but I have an idea of what good coffee is since I do drink my share of it these days. And true to word of mouth, the house blend was fantastic! Rich, smooth and oh the delightful bittersweet chocolatiness (is that even a word?). 

Also known as Little Marionette on the Dale, this little corner cafe run by proudly self named "coffee nerds" definitely got my thumbs up for its delectable coffee and well chosen pastries, it also scored in the cool factor with its "secret" room behind a revolving bookcase. Oh and the huge smile I got from my friend after he took a few sips of his coffee told me that we'd return one day soon for an espresso, well, maybe a macchiato for me. It seems my dear friend might have at last found the best coffee Sydney has to offer.


The Little Marionette: 8A Trafalgar Street, Annandale, NSW 2038   Little Marionette on the Dale on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment