Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ms. G's

I have been meaning to check out Ms. G's ever since my friend mentioned to me that they have cocktails in the frozen form - Yuzu Slushee, and that was last year. So I was very excited when I finally got the chance to head over there earlier this month. The night out also involved catching up with a friend who I haven't seen since high school! 

Silver Cloud Fizz (L)
We arrived just before 7pm and with all the hustle and bustle you wouldn't know it's a Sunday night. The old terrace house has been transformed into an Asian restaurant with a very rustic atmosphere. The top floor bar is decked out with ropes, buckets and pulleys, graffitied walls and beer cases doubled as tables, an idea I might just borrow next time I have a party. 

To kick the night off I went for the Silver Cloud Fizz (Belvedere Citrus, white mango tea, St Germain elderflower liqueur, lemon), I liked the idea of adding white mango tea to the mix. The drink itself was citrusy and rather refreshing. 

The dinning area is on the lower floor of the venue, with hanging ropes and glass walls looking out to a forest of bamboo trees, it felt like we were in the middle of a jungle instead of the city. It took no time for our waitress to take our orders but then it took what seemed like forever for our food to arrive. The table next to us arrived much later and got their food around the same time as us. However, they did accommodate our request for a bigger table when we had an extra person showing up. 

Salad of Husband & Wife
The most interesting dish on the menu has to be the Salad of Husband & Wife, the adventurous me went ahead and ordered it after the waitress explained to us what it was. I thought it was nice, but a bit too salty. Perhaps that's how pig's ears are, since I have never eaten it before I don't know how it's suppose to taste. All in all, the dish was an experience. 

If you want to play it safe, then go for the BBQ octopus & crispy pork noodle salad and Jow's Sweet & Sour lamb ribs as both were delicious. 

When it came to dessert time, we couldn't go pass the Pandan chiffon cake, strawberries, coconut sorbet and "Stoner's Delight 2.0" (doughnut ice cream, peanut butter, raspberry jam, candied bacon, potato chips, mars bar slice, banana fritters).

One of Merivale venues, Ms. G's is a funky Asian eatery that's tongue in cheek, just look at the letters in its name (MSG) and the neon sign that says six two one (food addictive number for MSG). Chefs Dan Hong and Jowett Yu bring you the flavours of Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan and everywhere in between without you ever having to leave your seat. As for the menu, I know I couldn't argue with its declaration - Asian mums are the best mums.


Ms. G's: 155 Victoria Street, Potts Point, NSW 2011  Ms. G's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment