Friday, December 9, 2011

Gardel's Bar

Gardel's Bar upstairs at Porteño is the perfect place to grab a drink while you wait for your table for the Argentinean feast down below. 

We were greeted at the top of the stairs and taken to a little table next to the window in the back room, a very cosy spot for two. The whole room smelt of fresh plants and flowers and with the chandeliers, dark leather and wood furnishing and mood lighting it simply felt luxurious, yet there is also that unmistakable Rock 'n' Roll feel to it. No wonder it won Best Design at the Time Out Sydney Bar Awards 2012

The extensive cocktail menu made picking out a drink that much harder, but I just need to start somewhere, right? 

Consider the bar food here did win the Best Bar Food at the Time Out Sydney Bar Awards 2012, it would be a shame if we didn't at least try one dish. Since I was already having trouble picking a cocktail from the menu, I left the food ordering to my dinner companion, and I must say the pulled pork sliders were an excellent choice. The mini burgers were full of flavours. 

Now back to the cocktail menu, after much debate with myself, I went for the Lavender Pisco Sour: Mistral Anejo Pisco, Yellow Chartreuse, lavender bitters, lavender honey, lemon juice and egg white which came served in a wine glass and it was delicious! 

The hostesses were polite and friendly, checked on us several times during the hour and half waiting time we clocked up. And when the time came to head downstairs, my unfinished cocktail was picked up, carried down the stairs and placed on our dinner table without me having to say a word. 

I can already see myself returning to the bar, in the not too distant future, for cocktails and more of that award winning bar food. 


Gardel's Bar: Upstairs @ Porteño, 385 Cleveland Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010   Gardel's Bar at Porteño on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment