Friday, November 25, 2011

Hinky Dinks

Hinky Dinks goes by the motto Cocktails first. Questions later... just the way I like it! Opened only a few months ago, this is one funky small bar worth checking out.

Zombie (L), Madagascar Manhattan (R)
After being greeted with a free serving of popcorn, I was feeling adventurous, so rather than looking at the ingredients, I picked my cocktail the way I usually pick my horses at the races, by name. Maybe because I'm not a bourbon drinker but gosh did Madagascar Manhattan (Vanilla & citrus peel-infused Bourbon, sweet vermouth, agave, chocolate bitters; served with a cherry straight up) has a kick to it or what!

The most potent drink on the menu is Zombie (Silver, aged and OP rums, Luxardo, cinnamon syrup, fresh lime, passionfruit, grapefruit juice, absinthe flame; served tiki style), it's so potent you are only allowed 2 per night.

Oh and there is table service too, such a welcoming added bonus!

With its exposed brick walls, black and white checkerboard floor, red and white bar stools, a vintage fridge at one end of the room, it felt like I was being transported back to the 1950s. I could just see myself sitting at the bar, sipping cocktails and listening to Frank Sinatra, whilst dressed in a tight-fitting blouse tucked into a pair of slim-line Capri pants, short ankle socks and a scarf tied around my neck. Think Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.

A return visit is definitely on the cards, and I'm not going back just for the cocktails but also the food, I have to get my hands on the pan-fried olive & Parmesan sandwich!


Hinky Dinks: 185 Darlinghurst Road, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010 Hinky Dinks on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment