Friday, October 28, 2011

Grandma's

One of my all time favourite bars has to be Grandma's. Ever since my first visit, I've been telling anyone who'd listen that it is one of the best small bars in town. And guess what? They have just won Time Out Sydney's Best Small Bar Award. See, I told you so! The best small bar not just by my vote but many others too. So in honour of their win I'm going to give you my 2 cents here.

People say you never forget your first love, I think that applies to small bars too. Grandma's is the first small bar I've ever set my foot in and it was love at first sight. I'd rave about it to others to the point where one of my friends asked me if I was getting paid to promote them. Self described as retro-sexual haven of cosmopolitan kitsch and faded granny glamour, Grandma's needs no introduction to those who favour a drink in a cosy, unassuming place.

Finding the bar may be a bit tricky if you don't know what you are looking for. I almost missed the door on my first visit and some of my friends wandered up and down the street a few times before they could locate it. But fret not, the entrance nowadays is often given away by the crowd lining up on the footpath waiting to get in.

Once inside you'll be greeted by a massive deer head mounted on the wall, followed by vintage pictures hanging above mismatching retro furniture dotted around the place. There is even a rocking chair, just like the one you'd expect to find inside your grandma's house. To secure one of the much coveted seats, make sure you get in early, otherwise you'll need to be very quick on your feet, no seat is ever vacant for long on a busy night.

Grandma's is a cocktail bar, but there is also a selection of wine and beer on offer. If you are feeling adventurous or simply can't decide what you want from the seemingly endless cocktails listed, consider kicking your night off with the secret daily punch, as the name suggests, it changes daily.

For something a bit different, try the Pink Pepper Martini, it is one of my favourite cocktails there, who would've thought pepper and strawberries would taste so delicious together?

Want to see your drink being lit on fire? Then you must order an Ultimate Mai Tai, watching it being made is almost as fun as drinking it!

Or if you are after a strong drink, as the menu puts it, a drink for a serious drinker, get yourself a Nuclear Daiquiri and get nuked!

When you spot grandma's knitting basket, challenge yourself and knit a few lines, that way you'll always be a part of Grandma's. Do I look like I knew what I was doing or what?!

Whether you stumbled upon Grandma's by chance or made it your mission to find it, this is one place you'll want to keep on coming back to. You won't find a more friendly bunch than James and Warren and all the grandkids behind the bar, and you'll get spoiled rotten each and every time you visit. With their newly extended hours, you can now chill with your friends till 1am on Fridays and Saturdays. Trust me, you'll be thankful for that extra hour, it means you can sneak in yet another delicious cocktail.

There is really no place like home, except grandma's.


Grandma's: Basement 275 Clarence Street, Sydney, NSW 2000  Grandma's Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment