Sunday, June 30, 2013

La Banette Pâtisserie

After being drenched from head to toe for most of the week, it was a relief when I woke up this morning and didn't hear the usual heavy rain beating down my window, so I jumped at the opportunity for a lazy late brunch outing.

Drawn in by the unmistakable smell of freshly baked bread and pastries, La Banette was bustling with its late morning crowd. After a few minutes of staring, I still had no idea what I wanted to order. As if the baskets of croissants, Pain au Raisins (aka sultana snails) and danishes weren't enough, the glass display cabinet was brimming with delicious treats: chocolate éclairs, all sorts of tarts - mixed fruits, lemon meringue, creme caramel, just to name a few, then there were the mille-feuilles, boxes of Petit fours and divine looking opera cakes!

I was like a kid in a candy store, I didn't know where to look and I wanted one of everything!

Pain au Raisins
Eventually I settled for a Pain au Raisins, an all time favourite of mine. The buttery pastry dusted with icing sugar had glazed sultanas on top and juicy ones in the middle, it brought back memories of my early morning bakery runs in Paris. Délicieux!

If you could be persuaded away from the sweet treats, quiches, pies and not-your-average sausages rolls are on the savoury menu. My friend who didn't need a sugar fix opted for the beef and burgundy pie. When I saw the big chunks of slow cooked beef encased in crispy golden pastry and heard it being called THE best meat pie ever, I felt a tinge of jealousy. The solution? I ordered a second cup of coffee and with it, the Ratatouille quiche. It was loaded with chunks of tomatoey zucchini, capsicum and eggplant, who would have known a vegetarian option could be so delicious? 

Paris has always been one of my favourite cities and now I've discovered a little slice of Parisian charm in Glebe! From the rows of crusty baguettes on the wooden shelves to its sandstone benches that were surprisingly comfortable to sit on, this little bakery doesn't just bake treats that will leave you drooling at the counter, they also make a mean cup of coffee!


La Banette Pâtisserie: 18 Glebe Point Road, Glebe, NSW 2037   La Banette Pâtisserie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment