Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bistrode (CLOSED)

A favourite with the locals, Bistrode is an intimate restaurant run by a husband & wife team. Located in the leafy Bourke Street, away from the busy and noisy Crown Street, in Surry Hills, this local gem has been awarded One Chef's Hat by the SMH Good Food Guide since 2007. 

It wasn't hard to spot my dinner companion when I arrived as we were given the table right next to the window. The light foot traffic outside made the table a great place to people watch between courses but not enough to distract us from our conversation during the meal. 

My entrée, the Szechuan Pork Belly, Pear & Pickled Mushroom, was absolutely delicious. The meat was soft and moist, the skin crunchy, that is until I bit into one of the Szechuan peppercorns and it left my mouth numb for the next few minutes. For the main course I had the Lamb Rump, Harissa, Broadbeans & Mint, while my friend ordered the Grass Fed Scotch Fillet Steak, Bone Marrow & Chimichurri Sauce. I loved the fact that the bone marrow was actually served in the bone itself. 

One word of warning, the servings here are very generous. In fact, I was so full after the first two courses I could not even bring myself to look at the dessert menu. To finish the meal, I asked for a peppermint tea, which to my delight, was not served from a teabag but loose leaf tea in a teapot.

With its soft lighting and what seemed like endless wine choices, Bistrode makes a perfect place for a relaxed evening out.

Bistrode: 478 Bourke Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010  Bistrode on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment